A bit of rain. A bit of sun. Some cloudy skies. Some clearing above. A ton of fun. A ton of friendship. A ton of kindness. A ton of teamwork. This week’s weather did not slow us down a bit. In fact, please read below for the top ten reasons this was Elmwood’s BEST week yet!
10. Green and White Day and our Cheer Off! Today, all our campers had the chance to present their cheers to the camp. They were rockin’ and illustrated just how strong and connected Elmwood’s groups are.
9. Our first-grade trip to see Madagascar at the White Plains Performing Arts Center. The lion, giraffe, hippo and zebra were dancing in the aisles with our 1st graders throughout the show. Everyone had a GREAT time!
8. Elmwood’s awesome art program which included landscape painting, clay faces, lots of glazing at ceramics, jewelry making and wooden cars and clocks.
7. K Adventure Day which included our five-year-old campers being able to eat lunch in the main area, a dance party, visiting the ceramics studio and playing on the big field.
6. All first and second graders got to go on a surprise trip to see the magic of the Great Charlini. What a great way to spend a rainy morning.
5. LEAGUE PLAYOFFS!!! The third and fourth grader league campers enjoyed a full day of competitive play including games of soccer, softball, basketball and punchball.
4. Our Performance Intensive had their big debut of A Land of Dreams. It was a night filled with songs, dances and scenes about how important it is for kids to have a dream! Dreams make everything better, and adults have a lot to learn from the dreams of children.
3. Our Discovery Campers went to the Liberty Science Center where they experienced the infinity climb, the touch tunnel and the playground Science. Our SOHO campers went to the Museum of Modern Art and then had time to draw and sketch in the park.
2. Many of our second graders went hiking to Turkey Mountain and our Upper Villagers went hiking at Harriman State Park.
1. Elmwood friends!
Jenny’s Healthy Recipe of the Week: Granola and Fruit Kabobs
- 2 cups of oats
- 4 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons of pure maple syrup.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine oats, coconut flakes and sunflower seeds in a bowl. Heat up coconut oil and maple syrup and pour into dry ingredient bowl. Lay out mixture on a baking tray and bake until granola starts to brown. Make sure to stir granola in oven so it doesn’t burn.
Fruit Kabobs: Peel and slice fruit. We used kiwis, strawberries and bananas. Assemble on wood skewer stick.