Dinosaurs VS. Aliens
This was our week 6 all-camp special event. Almost every community member came dressed in costume. The story was that the Diner Games happened at camp every 500 years. This was where Aliens and Dinosaurs compete in a variety of activities. The judges were a bit mischievous and wanted to win the grand prize of cookies for themselves. In the end, the judges, dinosaurs and aliens all learned to get along. The day was beyond silly and beyond fun!
Our five year-old campers got a taste of club. Campers got to pick their own activities and had their choice of DIY, Alien Projects, New Sports and Dance Off. Campers loved being able to pick what they love and learn new skills!
First Grade Trail Walks
Younger campers get to go on hikes too. All of our first graders took a trail walk at Rockefeller Preserve where they got to walk about a 1/2 mile, eat gorp and hear one of Jerry’s famous stories.
Second Grade Tarplin Games
This is the ultimate event to learn about teamwork, sportsmanship and healthy competition. Every group was a team and at the end of each event, 2 scores were given: one for winning and one for sportsmanship. Campers competed in relays, soccer, Steal the Bacon, trivia and other challenges. All campers worked on being good sports and playing fairly. It is definitely one of the highlights of the 2nd grade experience.
Lower Village Clubs
This week’s lower village clubs included Dinosaur Club, Painting Party, Popstar Dance Sensations, Clocks at Woodworking, Potions and Spells, Picnic Party, Sportsfest, and Magnet Making.
Third Grade Camp Within a Camp
Elmwood’s Third Grade campers participated in this very cool program this week. Choices included:
- Fencing with Sheridan Fencing School: Campers learned the art of Fencing with their professional Fencing coaches. They learned how to keep score and have a basic match. It was awesome!!
- Decathlon with Seth: Each day campers worked on pushing themselves in individual athletic challenges. They kept record of their accomplishments and kept working on improving throughout the week!
- Comedy with Matt: Third Graders spent a few days learning the art of comedy. They delved deep into slapstick, standup and comedy writing.
- Board Games with Jessica: Campers got to make their own board game. What could be better?
- Rubber Block Printing with Emily: Campers learned how to carve out an image into a rubber block and then used a wide variety of inks to do the printmaking.
- Terrariums with Beau and Dave: Campers got to build their very own terrarium and fill it with plant life and even some insects!
4th Grade overnight to Camp Schodack
Our 4th graders got a taste of sleep away camp this week. They packed up their sleeping bags and headed to Camp Schodack in Nassua, NY. They went boating, rode the Go-Karts, climbed on the climbing wall, had a pool party and ended the night with a camp fire. It was spectacular in every way!!
On top of all that:
Five days of swim instruction, athletic instruction, science, woodworking, ceramics, and so much more. What you just imagined actually happened during week 6 at Elmwood, our best week yet! It was filled with spirit, friendship, teamwork, love and, above all else, fun! We can’t wait until week 7!
Suzanne’s Recipe of the Week: Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup water
Preheat oven 350. Grease and flour two 9-inch pans. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt, cocoa powder, ¾ cup water and vegetable oil in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, vanilla, and ½ cup water, beat for another 2 minutes. Pour the batter in the pans. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 10.